Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Going Up in the Air

A hundred years ago, if you said you wanted to fly, people would have scoffed at you. Soaring through the sky, waving at birds, somersaulting in air... all of that was unimaginable. 

Now, it is a reality. Take advantage of your century. Go skydiving.


Skydiving is an exhilarating experience that millions of people take part in. There is almost nothing more exciting than flying free. 

After jumping out of the plane, you'll freefall down to the earth. After a specific point, you will pull the cord and your parachute will open up.



It is relatively safe. Last year, 19 out of 3.1 million skydiving incidents were fatal. Visit uspa.org for more information on skydiving safety.

Also, skydiving gives you a chance to get out of your comfort zone. A lot of people are afraid of heights. What better way to conquer that fear than to face it head on? 
---
Understandably, skydiving is a scary experience. If you feel it's too much, you can choose a safer alternative: hot air ballooning. 

Hot air ballooning is more calm and peaceful than skydiving. A pilot gently lifts off the ground and you drift with the wind. You can enjoy lovely views very close to where you live, but from personal experience, I'd say ballooning over a lake is the best. 

Sometimes the pilot dipped the very bottom of the basket into the lake, and while the water did get my feet wet, it was very fun.


Hot air ballooning is also a more family friendly activity. You can go up with young children safely, and they will be enclosed in the basket at all times.

If you want to have a lot of fun, get a special balloon. There are some shaped like teddy bears, while others look like our favorite Disney characters.





The way the balloon remains in the air is through heat. A small propane burner heats the air, which rises to the top of the balloon. This burner is controlled by the pilot so you can rise and fall when needed.

Remember to book both of these activities ahead of time and check that you are familiarized with the safety procedures.

Before you die, make sure to fly.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE skydiving!!! I went indoor skydiving in New Hampshire, but I could never REALLY go skydiving because I would probably forget to pull the parachute open...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went sky diving in college. My face almost froze off. It was October in Maine...we were 10,000 feet up, the plane was low of fuel...yea. But...I had an amazing time! I even got a video made of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and I want to go skydiving for my 18th birthday. But, I think we will probably chicken out when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete